Travis Kalanick, Uber CEO has declared a critical investigation into asserts of sexual harassment and sexism with the country. The stroke comes in rejoinder to an overnight blog post by the previous employee Susan Fowler titled one very, very strange year at Uber in which she minutiae her experiences of functioning as an engineer at the company’s headquarters in San Fransisco from 2015 November to 2016 December.
Her account niceties harassment commencing on the primary official day when her manager supposedly sent a message saying he was in an ‘open relationship and looking for women to have sex with him’. After reporting the confrontation to HR, upper management purportedly alleged the manager in question was a lofty performer and they would not feel contented punishing him for ‘what was probably just an innocent mistake’ as per Fowler’s post.
She also submits to the gender discrepancy of the company’ when I joined the organization I was part of was over 25 percent women. By the time I was trying to transfer to another eng organization, this number had dropped downward to less than 6 percent’. She also added that ‘women were transferring out of the company and those who could not transfer were quitting. There were two main reasons for this, there was an organizational bedlam and there was also the sexism inside the company. When I asked our director at an org all hands about what was being done regarding the diminishing number of women in the organization compared to rest of the country his response was that the women of Uber just needed to stride up and be better engineers’.
Fowler is also critical of the company’s managerial culture referring to a ‘Game of Thrones political war raging within the ranks of upper management’. Fowler’s allegations comprises
- On my initial official day rotating on the team, my new manager sent me a string of messages over the company chat. He was in an open relationship and alleges that his girlfriend was having an easy time finding new partners but he was not. He was trying to stay out of trouble at work, but he could not help getting in trouble because he was looking for women to have sex’.
- It was very straight points that my manager was trying to get me to have sex with him and it was clearly out of line that I instantly took screenshots of these chats messages and reported him to HR’.
- Higher management told me that ‘that manager was a high performer and they would not feel comfortable punishing hi, for what was probably just a simple mistake on his part’.
- Based on allegedly discussions with other women in the organization’ it became an obvious task that both HR and management had been lying regarding this being his first mistake and it certainly was not his last’.
- After allegedly promising to buy leather jackets for the whole team a member of management said’ that no leather jackets were being ordered for the women as there were not enough women in the company to justify placing an order’.
- Director alleged that ‘ as there were no many men in the organization, they had gotten an essential discount on the men’s jackets but not on women’s jackets and it would not be fair to offer women leather jackets that cost a little more than men’s jackets’.
- My manager also told me that I was on the very thin ice for reporting his manager HR. California is an at-will employment state, he alleged which means we can fire you if you will repeat this in future. I told him that was illegal and he replied that he had been a manager for a long time he knew what was illegal and threatening to fire me for reporting things to HR was not illegal’.
- I reported this threat instantly subsequent o meeting o both HR and to CTO and they both admitted that this was illegal but none of them did anything regarding that’.
Uber head Travis Kalanick reacted to the asserts by means of Twitter that ‘what’s described here is objectionable and adjacent to everything we believe in. Anyone who behaves this approach or believes this is OK will be fired’. He added that ‘I have instructed our CHRO Liane to conduct an urgent investigation and there can be absolutely no place for this kind of behavior at Uber’.