A Survey Found: 95% Engineers Are Unfit For Programming Jobs


According to a recent survey, talent shortage is a really big problem in India as in IT and data science ecosystems in the country with a humungous 95% of the engineers of the country are not fit for jobs of software development. The study has been done by employability Assessment Company Aspiring Minds says that only 4.77% candidates can write the accurate logic for a programme, which is also a basic requirement for any programming job.

More than 36,000 engineering students are from IT related branches of over 500 took Automata (a Machine Learning based assessment of Software Development skills), of which above 2/3 students could not be able to write code that assembles. Adding to this, the study also stated that more than 60 percent of the candidates cannot even write code that compiles whereas only 1.4 percent candidates able to write the accurate and professional code.

The Aspiring Minds Co-Founder and CTO said that lack of programming skills is one of the big reasons behind these shocking results. “Lack of programming skills is adversely impacting the IT and data science ecosystem in India. The world is moving towards introducing programming to three-year-old! India needs to catch up,” Aggarwal said. The study also says that there is shortages of good programming teachers as the most of the good programmers get jobs in the industry at great salaries. There’s an employability gap that could be attributed to rote learning based approaches instead of actually writing programmes on a computer for various problems, the study said.

Furthermore, the programming skills are five times poorer for tier III colleges comparing to the tier I colleges. The report also said that only 69 percent candidates from the top 100 colleges were able to write accurately the code programming. “Sixty-nine per cent of candidates from the top 100 colleges are able to write a compilable code versus the rest of the colleges where only 31 per cent are able to write a compilable code,” the report added.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.