The Islamic State group is attacking back as Iraqi forces are on the cusp of full victory in Mosul, transporting women suicide bombers to target soldiers as the war for the country’s second largest city nears its end. The officials said on Monday that at least 15 people were killed in the latest attacks across Iraq. The attacks highlight the powerful violence still plaguing the battered country and the perils that will remain someday after IS militants are pushed out of Mosul.
On Monday morning in Mosul’s Old City neighborhood, the scene of IS’ gets by coming to a standstill, to what place soldiers are rapidly closing in on the last remaining pocket of the militants. Two women suicide bombers, hiding among a group of fleeing civilians, targeted Iraqi troops, killing one soldier and injured several others. On the other hand, at a camp for displaced people in Iraq’s western Anbar area, a suicide bomber dressed woman all-covering robe killed 14 on Sunday evening, a local official said. After days of vicious battles, the militant-held territory in Mosul is quickly shrinking as IS now controlling more than 1 square kilometer in all, or approximately 0.40 square miles. The usage of women as suicide bombers is, in fact, the new tactic by the militants. The Sgt. Ali Abdullah Hussein told The Associated Press that as he came back from the front line, his troops carrying the body of the slain comrade wrapped in a blanket.
“They appeared from the basement (of a building) and they blew themselves up,” Hussein said of the two women bombers. The attack happened in the region of the destroyed al-Nuri Mosque, which was the targeted of the Iraqi forces’ push last week. Over the last three days, Hussein said that no less than four such attacks have targeted Iraqi forces as hundreds of Mosul’s civilians are fleeing the clashes in the Old City’s jammed roads. On the other hand, another group of civilians appeared on the main road after the explosion on Monday, prompting the Iraqi soldiers to immediately standoff their weapons. They previously yelled to the group of mostly women and children to strengthen away and nick another route out. The IS overran Mosul in an experience of days, preferably more than 3 days ago. The US-backed unpleasant to recapture the city was put up last October and has lasted virtually nine months, during the Iraqi political and military officials had vowed that victory would be announced by the end of 2016.
The Iraqi forces commenced the action to take back the Old City in mid-June and after a dawn push last Thursday, they retook the area around the al-Nuri Mosque, which the militants had blown up just a few days back. The 12th-century Mosque is highly symbolic – it was from a pulpit of this place of worship that IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared the IS caliphate in July 2014. After the Iraqi forces retook the landmark al-Nuri Mosque, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi announced an end to IS’ so-called caliphate and answerable victory was “near”. The suicide bomb in Anbar took hut at gloom on Sunday, as authorities were bowing down families that had fled from the Islamic State-held town of Qaim, in western Iraq, as per the Councilman Taha Abdul-Ghani.
The Abdul Ghani said that a police colonel was midst the 14 dead, and at least 20 were injured in the explosion. Ghani added that the death toll could have been higher, but the colonel becomes doubtful about the person in the long robe and walked towards the attacker, embracing him – perhaps to cut back the number of casualties – as he detonated his explosives. The Iraqi forces have pushed IS out of most of Anbar, and yet there was no immediate claim of undertaking for the camp protect, it had all the hallmarks of the IS, which has in the previous months staged large-scale attacks elsewhere in Iraq to divert from its losses in Mosul.