Students must be facing problem because of changes followed up by NEET, As on Thusday the Supreme Court declined to entertain a petition that wanted the exam to be cancelled altogether because of the changes.
The top court ruled the most “If the stay is vacated, you can come. So you mention the case next week” said the Supreme Court, pointing that the high court had already stayed the declaration of the results of the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test 2017.
85% of seats in MBBS and BDS courses for the state board and only 15% for those of other boards students oder a reservation by Tamil Nadu governmentincluding the CBSE which was refused by the Supreme Court.
Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice DY Chandrachud asked the petitioner, father of a medical aspirant, to approach the Madras High Court which is already hearing pleas against the state government order. And the apex court asked petitioner R Nakkiran, represented by senior advocate Nalini Chidambaram, to withdraw the plea and either file a fresh one or intervene in the pending matter before the Madras High Court.
“We request the High Court to expedite the hearing in the case,” the bench said, adding that the matter is very urgent as counselling for the admissions is about to begin.
NEET from this year had made reservation for the 85 per cent seats for the states candidtes and the remaining 15 per cent for the candidates belonging from the other state, Medical colleges are located in the Tamil Nadu, so they want to give more preferance to their own people and the remaining seats will go to students hailing from other state.
CBSE conducts National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for admission to MBBS and BDS courses across the country in which Tamil Nadu government, however, passed an order on June 22 saying that 85 per cent seats in MBBS and BDS courses wouldbe allocated to those who have passed their 12th examination conducted by the state board and only 15 per cent seats would be given to those who cleared the test from other boards including CBSE.
The announcement made by the board has increased the tension among the students who belong from the other sates, concerned Chidambaram submitted that the matter needed urgent hearing as the counselling begins from today and moreover, the government order has created a lot of problems to students who have passed 12th examination from other boards.
Previously, the High Court had issued notices to the Health and Family Welfare Department’s secretary, Medical Education’sadditional director, the Selection Committee’s secretary andthe Medical Council of India on a separate plea challenging the government order.
One Darnish Kumar and two others plea a file in the High Court but the court had declined the grant of interim stay.
As per the NEET exam criteria the petitioners had submitted all the supported apex documents to the court and the court has clearly stated that when admission is based on entrance examination of NEET, then it should make no difference whether the qualifying examination is conducted by the state board or Central Board of Secondary Education because no discrimination can be made between the schools affiliated to both the boards.
They had further stated that once a common merit list is prepared for the purpose of grant of admission to MBBS and BDS courses based on NEET results, the only permissible reservation was in favour of students who have studied inschools located within Tamil Nadu.
Therefore they had sai-“it is impermissible for distribution of seats on the basis of the school board and therefore such segregation of seats would amount to discrimination among students”