Applying for Passport Becomes Easy, No Birth Certificate Required


For getting a passport you no don’t need to show your birth certificate anymore. The government informed Parliament this week that Aadhaar or PAN card among a host of documents could be used to establish proof of birth+ has been continuing the process of simplifying passports for Indian citizens.

According to the 1980 Passport Rules, all applicants born on or after 26/01/1989, had to submit a birth certificate, a mandatory provision. Now they can submit any one of these documents:

  • Transfer Certificate
  • School leaving Certificate
  • Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended
  • Any recognised educational board containing the DOB of the applicant
  • PAN Card
  • Aadhaar Card or E-Aadhaar
  • Driving license
  • Voter ID cards
  • LIC policy bonds

And the Government employees can give extracts of service record, pension records, etc. As per the latest update TOI has reported that, neither divorce decrees, nor adoption certificates need to be submitted any longer to get a passport. Only Orphaned children will need a document from their orphanage to confirm date of birth.

VK Singh, answering a question in Parliament said their main aim is to “make passports easily available to millions and more.”

Applicants over 60 and below 8 years of age will get a 10 per cent discount on passport fees. And the new passports will have personal details printed in both Hindi and English. Even it has become much easy to apply online, as for applying online we need only provide the name of one parent or guardian, not both, helping single parent families.

All new rules  regarding the passport had came into operation from December. The annexes to the passport form have been reduced from 15 to 9, and they only need to be printed out in plain paper, and self-attested. “No attestation/swearing by/before any Notary/Executive Magistrate/First Class Judicial Magistrate would be henceforth necessary. “This also means married applicants don’t need to provide a marriage certificate, nor name of spouse if they are divorced or separated.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.