SC Dismisses Plea Against 'Indu Sarkar', Will Hit Theaters Tomorrow

0
326

The controversial upcoming film Indu Sarkar, which is set in the background of Emergency can release on its scheduled time. The Supreme Court, however, rejects today a plea against to stop the film from being released, which is filed by a woman who alleges that she’s a biological daughter of Sanjay Gandhi. “National interest or the right to know is more paramount than an individual’s reputation,” the Court said. Saying that this upcoming film (Indu Sarkar) is not a document, the Court ruled, “Exhibition of the movie is an artistic expression within the parameters of law and there is no justification to curtail the release of the movie.”

The Court said that “A film’s script has to have a little drama and exaggeration”. A girl who claims that Sanjay Gandhi was her biological father, Priya Singh Paul, had said to the court to stop the release of the Madhur Bhandarkar’s film Indu Sarkar, which was already being cleared by the censor board last week. The film is “full of concocted facts and is totally derogatory,” alleged by her. Madhur Bhandarkar, on the other hand, said to the NDTV just after the decision of the court came out that “It is absolutely a great relief… Welcome that the court held that artistic freedom cannot be curbed”. The director also said that he still had not been able to understand that why there had been so much to oppose the film as there have been already many documentaries being made on Emergency in the past.

The filmmaker also said that he was one of the few directors who came in the support of past controversial releases like ‘Udta Punjab’ and ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ during their tough time. “But no one from the film fraternity stood by me during this difficult time,” Bhandarkar added. Ms. Paul, on the other hand, had said that the filmmaker had not heard her point of view. “The game is not over yet. I can come to court seeking defamation against Bhandarkar,” Paul said to the NDTV. This upcoming film talks about the controversial state of Emergency imposed by the Indira Gandhi in 1975, which left a time of deep turbulence that experienced civil liberties being suspended all over the country. Bhandarkar, in the last some weeks, also had to cancel a promotional event of the film because of the violence and threats by the Congress workers.

The Congress party, however, distanced itself from the violence that took place recently in some promotional event of the film but said that they are concerned about the fact how Indira Gandhi’s will be shown in the film and how the Emergency period will be displayed. The Former Union Minister M Veerappa Moily said that the film would hurt the sentiments of “many Congressmen and this is what the present prime minister wants”. In the meantime, the Delhi High Court had dismissed a petition on Thursday to prevent the decision of censor board’s clearance given to Indu Sarkar. In a petition filed by a lawyer, it claims that the film showed late Indira Gandhi and her son Sanjay Gandhi in a bad way and was a “propaganda film”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.