The Blue Whale Game Challenge is a deadly online game invented by a psychology student Philip Budeikin in Russia 2013. The name “Blue Whale” comes from beached whales, which means suicide.
Inventor of the Game: The Blue Whale game was invented by a Russian student, Philipp Budeikin (22 years). He was expelled from his University because he invented this deadly game. A Russian girl (17 years) has been also expelled as she is the mastermind of the game. Recently the creator of this game was sentenced to 3 years of imprisonment for forcing and instigating the teenagers to take the challenge.
Origin of the game: This game began in Russia four years ago and has now spread to many parts of the world. It is believed to have killed more than 100 teens so far. Our Government reached out for the solution and ban the Blue Whale Game. It is not easily available on play store or app store. It is shared among secretive groups on social media sites. The creators seeking the teenagers to join and take the challenge.
How to Play: The game is based on the relationship between the administrators and the players. The administrator gives the challenges to the player. There are total 50 tasks in this game. The first few steps are easy but it becomes terrible after the few steps and the last task is to commit suicide. If you leave the game in the middle then the administrator threatens to kill you and your family. Once the game starts, you can’t stop and 50 tasks have to be completed. Given below is the list of likely challenges which are given to the players. This information was shared by someone on Reddit. The tasks could even change according to the player’s age and sex.
1. Carve ‘f57’ on your arm with a blade.
2. Wake up at 4:20 am and watch scary videos.
3. Cut your arm along with your veins, only three cuts.
4. Draw a whale on a piece of paper.
5. If you’re ready to ‘become a whale’, you write “yes” with the blade on your leg, if not, you have to cut yourself many times (as a punishment).
6. The task is in code.
7. Carve ‘f40’ on your arm with a blade.
8. Write in the status #I_am_Whale.
9. You should overcome your fear.
10. Get up at 4:20 am and go to the roof.
11. It is necessary to scratch out a whale on the hand.
12. Watch scary videos the whole day.
13. Listen to music that they send to you.
14. Cut your lip.
15. Poke the needle arm.
16. Hurt yourself.
17. Go to the highest roof you can find and stand on the edge.
18. Go to a bridge and stand on the edge.
19. Climb on a crane or at least try.
20. Curators check if you are trustworthy.
21. Talk with another ‘whale’ on Skype.
22. Sit down on the edge of a roof with your feet dangling.
23. Another task in a code.
24. Secret task.
25. Meet with a ‘whale’.
26. Curator tells you the date of your death and you must accept it.
27. Wake up at 4:20 am and go to any railroad in your area.
28. Do not talk with anyone.
29. Take an oath that you’re a whale.
30-49. Every day you wake up at 4:20 am, watch scary videos, listen to music that they send, make cuts on your body each day and talk to a ‘whale’.
50. Jump off a high roof and take your life.
How do Admin find you: You cannot find the admin or download the game. Recent reports suggest that admin finds you. Admin identifies the victims who are depressed or have displayed other psychological traits and send them the link of the game. According to the investigation, Admin tells players to delete all the evidence about blue whale game on their social media accounts.
Why can’t you stop in the Middle of the game: Once you entered in the game, you have to accept a cookie in which you have to accept all the terms and conditions and that gives them access to your entire data online. If you stop the game in the midway then they have to blackmail you. They threaten to hurt you your family or kill your family or reveal all his personal data on social sites.
Why can’t the game be blocked: It is not just another game easily downloadable from App store or play store.It is far from a game that has been inciting teenagers across the globe to commit suicide. There is not a single person or unit who is managing it. There are many controllers of the game which are connected with each other through different chat rooms. The police and law trying to block access to the ‘game’. This game is so scattered and decentralized that banning it is not possible.
Other names of the Game: There are several many other games which include ‘A Silent House’, ‘A Sea of Whales’, ‘Wake Me Up At 4.20 am’.
Signs to look out for: The disconnect between teens and their parents has always very excited but now it takes a new shape. Parents are worried who are getting their kids treated for video game addiction. Celebrity psychologist Seema Hingorrany is getting multiple queries from parents and suggests them. Below are the signs that parents can keep an eye on:
- A recent tendency in the child to stay alone
- Any changes in diet or sleep routine of child
- Any cuts or wounds on the body
- Staying up at night around 4:20 am
What parents can do for this: Parents need to communicate with their children. Give them space and always keep a close eye on what your kids do on their social media sites and the internet. Addresses the behavior of your kids and communicating with them about such deadly game. Alert your kids and talking to them. Instead of complaining them, try to understand your kid. If you are tracking your child’s activity on social media then you can look for the words ‘F57’ or ‘F40’, “Quiet House”, “The Silent House”, “Wake me up at 4:20 am” or “The Sea of Whales”.
Big Issue: Blue whale challenge is not completely responsible for participating committing suicide. Experts are saying that the larger issue at hand is that of depression. We are ignoring more important issues at hand, like mental health issues among children. It is very clear that the most vulnerable children to the Blue Whale challenge are those who have under depression and demanding attention from others or a form of punishing the parents for not giving the child enough time.