After rare 5.4-magnitude strikes in the southeastern port of Pohang in South Korea, more than 50 people were injured and 1,500 taken to shelters in the country as the officials said on Thursday. Flashing alarm in a country that rarely witnesses major tremors, the country experienced the second-most powerful quake in the South hit at a shallow depth of nine kilometers yesterday afternoon.
The safety ministry said in a statement that the quake that was felt across the country including in the capital Seoul, destructed almost 1,100 homes and more than 100 schools. The statement said that roads and public and military facilities were also damaged, 57 people were left injured and 1,536 looking for shelters outside their home. It added that no deaths had been reported. This came almost after a year the country’s most powerful quake to date, a 5.8-magnitude tremor that took place in the southeastern city, Gyeongju, in September 2016. The pictures of the situation following a quake of Wednesday’s showed damaged houses, shattered storefronts and cars smashed by fallen bricks.
One video posted on social media showed dozens of students yelling and escaping in panic as a large brick front crumbled and fell off the top of a campus building. On late Wednesday, a rare decision to postpone country’s all-important nationwide college entrance exam, which was scheduled for Thursday after postponed for a week as dozens of after-effects continued to shake Pohang, Seoul. This annual event is thoroughly watched by the whole nation that falls silent on the day to aid teenagers to focus on the test whose result may state their future in the hyper-competitive society. Since 1992, it was the second time when the test has been postponed.