The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) has comprised a six-member panel including historians, experts and members of the former royal family to examine the authenticity of Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s controversial magnum opus Padmavati. The panel is ready to review the film as it still waits to get a nod from the censor board for release in cinema halls.
The previous royal family of Mewar had refused to be a part of the panel and on the other hand, asked for a formally written clarification on the points raised by him earlier, the ministry of information and broadcasting said. The panel constituted by Censor Board Chief Prasoon Joshi to “scrutinize the authenticity” of the script will make its comments after which the CBFC is likely to send a formal report to the ministry. Prior to it, the film was sent back to the producers following it was found that the column for declaring whether it was a work of fiction or was based on historical facts was left blank.
The censor board members also added that the film has been pointlessly added in controversy due to unclear disclaimers in its application for a certification that it is ‘partially based on historical facts’. Bhansali, however, had refused to call it a work of fiction. This magnum opus 190-crore budgeted film was scheduled for December 1 release but following the controversy over Karni Sena’s alleged distorting of history in the film delayed its release. The chief ministers of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh had already banned the film till its important portions that represent Rani Padmini in the wrong light are deleted from the film.
ra, calling it is “distressing” to witness the country’s foundation under threat both directly and surreptitiously. The 47-year-old Congress leader had not taken the name of Hegde but said that senior BJP members had made the statements against the constitution. Gandhi was speaking at a ceremony to commemorate the 133rd foundation day of the Congress party.
“Today, it is distressing to see the Constitution, the foundation of our country, under threat. It is under attack directly, statements are being made by senior BJP members and it is under attack surreptitiously from the back. It is our duty, the duty of the Congress party and every single Indian to defend the Constitution and to defend the right of every citizen and every single person,” Gandhi said. The Congress-led opposition parties are demanding the expulsion of Hegde from the Union council of ministers for his controversial remarks at a function on Sunday in Karnataka that the “BJP will change the constitution and remove the word secular from it”.
On Wednesday, the opposition created a ruckus in Parliament over the remarks disturbing proceedings in both the houses, prompting the government to dissociate itself from minister’s comments. The minister of state for parliamentary affairs Vijay Goel said in the Rajya Sabha that “We do not agree with the minister’s statement…We are fully committed to the Constitution”. But Goel’s attempt to create peace among the agitated opposition failed as they stood by that Hedge has no “right to remain a minister if he does not have faith” in the constitution. The leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad said in the Rajya Sabha that “How can he be a minister? He has no right to be a minister. He has no right to be an MP. If anyone does not believe in the Constitution, he or she has no right to be an MP”.
The Congress and other opposition members will protest on Thursday near the statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the Parliament House complex against Hegde’s remarks. “The BJP operates on the basic idea that a lie can be used for political benefits. That’s the basic difference between the Congress and the BJP. Somehow, we might not do well, we might even lose but we will not give up the truth. We will defend the truth,” said Gandhi, referring to party’s defeats in the recent assembly elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh. After hoisting the Congress flag at the party headquarters in Delhi, he said that “The central idea of the Congress party is the truth. We accept the truth, we work with the truth and we fight for the truth”.
The national award winner Priyanka Chopra talked about the “abuse of power” she faced in her professional life. On Tuesday, Chopra spoke during a question and answer session with an anchor following she delivered the Penguin Annual Lecture on “Breaking The Glass Ceiling: Chasing a dream” at the 11th edition of the event.
“I am very fierce. People are a little bit scared of me. When I walk into a room, I make sure that no one can… Yes, I have had situations when I have been thrown out of films because someone else was recommended… A girlfriend was recommended after I was signed for a movie. So, that’s an abuse of power… Girlfriend of the hero or girlfriend of the director,” said the 35-year-old actress. The actress said that “I couldn’t do anything about it. I was removed last minute from many such situations because I never catered to the whims and fancies of powerful men. I only cater to my colleagues and friends who give me respect. I was treated in a different way because I commanded that, and it was because I had the strength and support of my family”.
While talking at another talent-based reality show “India’s Next Superstars”, Priyanka said that “Men also go through casting couch”. The show’s host Rithvik Dhanjani in a support of Priyanka’s statement said that “It’s the lower level people who want to take advantage of the struggling newcomers. Big directors and producers never do such things. I’ve been lucky to have worked with good people in the industry”. While speaking at the Penguin Lecture, the actress said, “I think it has struck a chord with everyone in the world. You have all seen what happened with the Me Too hashtag. It was not just restricted to the US… It went all over the world.”
“Different countries have different cultural boundaries. Meryl Streep can stand up and talk against the President over there (in the US). They can sell anti-Trump memorabilia outside his house. It’s just a different way we live in our nation and we need to respect it,” said the actress who has made her place in Hollywood with a lead role in American TV show Quantico. The actress said that the situation in India will change when the upcoming generation is taught to respect a woman. “I wouldn’t call women victims, I would call them survivors. But there shouldn’t be a world where women have to survive, there should be a world where women thrive,” the 35-years-old actress added.
Pakistan alleges to have detected a “metallic substance” in the shoes worn by the Kulbhushan Jadhav’s wife when she was sent to meet him at the Foreign Office in Islamabad, as per a media report. The Dawn reported that the Foreign Office (FO) affirmed that a “metallic substance” had been detected in the shoes that were taken by security officials before sending them to the meeting with the Indian death row prisoner.
In a statement issued last night, Pakistan rejected as “baseless” India’s arguments that Jadhav’s wife and daughter were harassed and claimed that his shoes were removed for security reasons as there was “something” in it. The FO spokesperson Mohammad Faisal said that “There was something in the shoe. It is being investigated. We gave her a pair of replacement shoes. All her jewellery etc were returned after the meeting”. He added that replacement of shoes was provided to her. In a statement issued yesterday by the external affairs ministry, it said that Pakistan went so low that it had the mangal sutra, bindi, and bangles of Jadhav’s mother and wife removed before they could meet him.
India also alleged Pakistan of paying no attention to cultural and religious sensibilities of family members under the pretext of security. It said that “This included removal of mangal sutra, bangles, and bindi, as well as a change in attire that was not warranted by security”. Pakistan’s FO said that they don’t want to indulge in a “meaningless battle of words” and categorically rejects India’s baseless “allegations and twists” about the attitude of authorities while Jadhav’s meeting with his wife and mother. The statement said, “The Indian baseless allegations and twists, that come 24 hrs later, about the visit of the wife and mother of Commander Jadhav, a convicted terrorist, and spy, who has confessed to his crimes, are categorically rejected.”
The statement further added that if Indian concerns were serious, then the guests or the Indian DHC (Deputy High Commissioner) must have raised them during the visit with media which was readily available, but at a safe distance as requested by India. “We do not wish to indulge in a meaningless battle of words. Our openness and transparency belie these allegations,” it said. Jadhav was detained in March last year and was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court for alleged spying, an accusation of which India has always denied.
Following the inauguration of the Magenta Line of Metro in Noida, the Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanth addressed his first public meeting on Monday where he declared two new metro projects for Kanpur and Agra in the state. The UP CM Yogi thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for giving this metro line to the state.
“I thank the PM for giving UP the offering of this new Metro line. We are going to bring Metro to Kanpur and Agra. The inauguration of the Magenta Line will prove to be a milestone towards realising the dream of development for Noida and Greater Noida. The PM has given a new meaning to politics of this nation. He is always telling us one thing: We have to move ahead on the path of development. We should ensure no citizen is unhappy. There is no question of discriminating against anyone,” said Yogi Adityanath during the inauguration. The CM added that work to initiate an airport at Jewar has also been accelerated, which will be affluent for the people and will bring development to the district.
The CM Yogi said during the meeting that “We have been planning two major expressways in the state. It is an achievement to have the Prime Minister in the state. He has given a new direction to politics and till even a single individual remains unhappy, we should make efforts to solve his problems”. While criticizing the previous governments in the state, Yogi claimed that under their rule, Noida, Greater Noida, and Yamuna Expressway region were only focused to make money. “My government is taking public welfare projects on a priority basis. As per Modi’s directions, we are working on the principle of participation of all and development for all (sabka saath, sabka vikas),” the CM added.
Mentioning on the issue of real estate developers leaving projects uncompleted, Adityanath said that builders had promised to handover 80,000 apartments to consumers in the coming six months. The UP CM claimed that in the nine months of his rule, he has been taking decisions without any one-sided attitude or self-interest. “All decisions are in public interest,” Adityanath added.
Following a day Lt Governor Anil Baijal gave back the AAP government’s historic move to home deliver public services, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal confronted him on Wednesday, questioning “who should have the final say”. “LG says digitisation enough. Elected government says digitisation needs to be coupled with doorstep delivery. LG does not agree. So, the question is – in a democracy, in such a situation, who should have final say – LG or elected government??” tweeted Kejriwal with attaching a news report titled ‘Doorstep delivery: Government says Baijal ‘rejected’ plan, L-G says digitize it’.
The LG Baijal’s office said on Tuesday that the LG has only “advised to reconsider the proposal in its present form and suggested alternative model to eliminate corruption and improve public service delivery.” The LG also added that digital delivery of services could be the “most effective” tool to eradicate corruption as it removed from the human interface, minimized delays and discretion. The Delhi’s Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia also attacked the LG’s decision on Tuesday, saying that “Huge setback in Delhi government’s efforts to provide good and corruption-free government. LG has taken a decision without knowing field reality”. He added that most of these services were already available in digital, yet there were long queues in offices. Under the scheme, the Delhi government had decided to provide over 40 government services ranging from the grant of water connection to marriage certificates at people’s doorway.
The Salman-Katrina starrer Tiger Zinda Hai has released and breaking every single record at the box office with some huge margins. Smashing one record after other, Salman’s film has collected Rs 151.47 crore till now in just its four days of release. Except Baahubali 2: The Conclusion, Tiger Zinda Hai had witnessed highest opening collection ever in India. It also broke all past records of the first-weekend collection.
The film crossed the Rs 100 crore mark in just three days and the next target of touching 200 crore mark may be touched by the end of first week itself. Interestingly, Tiger Zinda Hai has become Khan’s twelfth film to enter the Rs 100 crore mark, which is another record set the film by its collections. The trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted the latest figures. He tweeted, “#TigerZindaHai is setting NEW BENCHMARKS… Does PHENOMENAL biz on Mon [#Christmas]… Crosses ₹ 150 cr on Day 4… Is UNSTOPPABLE… Fri 34.10 cr, Sat 35.30 cr, Sun 45.53 cr, Mon 36.54 cr. Total: ₹ 151.47 cr. India biz. #TZH.”
Directed by Ali Abbas Zafar, Tiger Zinda Hai opened to enormous 5700 screens worldwide, 4600 screens in India only. As Salman’s film enjoyed the extraordinary weekend, it is expected that Tiger Zinda Hai may break many records in the coming days. The film has already left a number of Bollywood blockbusters behind like Salman’s Sultan and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo.