On early Thursday morning, four people were killed, including two children, and five injured after a fire broke out in a residential building in Mumbai’s Andheri East. In the initial investigation by the brigade suggest that a short-circuit in an air conditioner (AC) produced the fire in Mamoon Manzil in Bhori colony. The deceased were recognized as Sakina A Kapasi (14), Mohsin A Kapasi (10), Tasleem A Kapasi (42), and Dawood Ali Kapasi (80).
On the other hand, the five injured who suffered burn injuries were admitted to Holy Spirit hospital and their condition is said to be stable. As per the officials, a total of 17 people were saved. This incident took place less than a week after 14 people were killed in a fire in the Kamala Mills compound, which broke out about 2 am was carried under control by 7 am. Five fire engines and water tankers were used to control the blaze. In Thursday’s incident, a small part of the AC machine, believed to be burning, fell on the 14-year-old Sakina, who was sleeping in her bed. When she started yelling, it woke up her brother Mohsin, who informed their father, mother Tasleen and grandfather Dawood.
The father runs out of the room to get some help but the others could not get out because of an automatic lock in the door. To save themselves, mother and son went and hid in the bathroom where they died of suffocation. Due to the burn injuries, the girl and her grandfather died. A case of accidental death has been registered.