On Tuesday, the union foreign minister Sushma Swaraj told the Rajya Sabha that all the 39 Indians abducted in Mosul (Iran) were killed by ISIS. Swaraj said this in her statement in the Rajya Sabha. The minister added that stranded Indians were kidnapped and most of them were from Punjab.
The abducted Indians were snatched from war-ravaged Mosul, mostly workers from Punjab. The government had categorized the men as missing and had said that it would continue its search for the men till it received solid proof of their death. The Union Minister added that the bodies of the dead were exhumed and DNA samples sent for forensic test. In 2014, 39 Indians were kidnapped by ISIS in Mosul. Both India and Iraq had contended that the 39 people were alive. The relatives of the 39 Indians had undergone to DNA test last year. At the suggestion of some parliamentarians and Iraqi authorities, the government had collected DNA samples of the relatives as an initiative of a new start to determine their fate.
The move came following several mass graves were found in Mosul that was liberated from IS authorities in July 2017. In between the reports of the death of 39 Indians, the Union Minister had told Parliament in July 2017 that she would not declare that the 39 Indians were dead without solid proof or evidence. “It is a sin to declare a person dead without concrete evidence. I will not do this sin,” the minister said in her earlier statement in the Lok Sabha.