Trump expresses ‘satisfaction’ over Global Entrepreneurship Summit: White House

President Trump calls up Prime Minister Narendra Modi amid which both the leaders “expressed satisfaction” over the recently completed Global Entrepreneurship Summit co-hosted by the US and India last month in Hyderabad, the White House said on Saturday. The President Trump’s daughter Ivanka had headed the US delegation at the three-day event, who’s also his senior advisor.

On Friday, President Trump spoke to PM Modi over the phone. In a brief readout of the call, the White House said that “The leaders expressed satisfaction with the recent Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES), co-hosted by the United States and India, which brought together entrepreneurs and investors from around the world, including 38 US states, the District of Colombia, and Puerto Rico”. The focus of a summit of this year was on supporting women entrepreneurs and supporting economic growth globally.

The State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said on Thursday that “For all of our progress, gender divides on access to technology, nutrition, and health, preventing women, their families, and their communities from reaching their full potential”. On November 28, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended the launch of the summit with external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj and defense minister Nirmala Sitaraman. Almost 1,500 delegates including entrepreneurs, investors and ecosystem supporters from 150 nations took part in the event, more than half of them were women.

I’m Lashkar’s biggest supporter and know they like me, says Pervez Musharraf

The former Pakistani military ruler Pervez Musharraf has said this week that he likes Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed and is the “biggest supporter” of the Lashkar-e-Taiba as it involved in targeting the Indian Army in Kashmir. The former military dictator, who is currently living in self-exile in Dubai since leaving Pakistan following being charged with sedition, made the comments during the time he was appearing on a TV talk show late on Tuesday night.

While replying to a question on how the man who had once followed the policy of “enlightened moderation” was associating with hardline Islamic groups, Musharraf said that “I’m the biggest supporter of Lashkar-e-Taiba and I know the LeT and JuD people like me”. When he was asked that if he likes the founder of LeT Saeed, Musharraf said, “Yes, I have met him, even recently…I have always been in favor of action in Kashmir, and I’ve always been in their favor, that in Kashmir we must pressure the Indian Army and this (LeT) is the biggest force.” He also added that the LeT “was not involved” in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

The attack on India’s financial hub was carried by a LeT team of 10 people, and later the Pakistan officially accepted the conspiracy behind the attacks was planned in its country in 2009 and arrested seven people for the same, including LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi. “It is the requirement of the day, you must do everything in light of the reality of Pakistan. I am liberal and moderate, these are my thoughts but that doesn’t mean I’m against all religious people,” he added. Weeks after a terror attack on the Indian Parliament, the Musharraf’s government had banned the LeT and Jaish-e-Mohammed in January 2002.

The former President claimed India and the US got the LeT “declared terrorists”. “Yes, they are involved in Kashmir and in Kashmir, it is between we and India,” he added. “The situation was different at that time. My vision was that we were moving towards peace, they (India) were moving toward my four-point agenda (for resolving the Kashmir issue), let us reduce mujahideen and increase political…” Musharraf said when asked about why he had banned the LeT in 2002. The former President also expressed a recent White House statement calling on Pakistan to arrest Saeed and act against him as “offensive”.

“This is very offensive language and an insult to Pakistan’s sovereignty. I would never accept this language and I would have said, ‘Please don’t dictate to us. We are in charge here, we decide on who is the LeT head, whether he has to be tried, whether he has to be punished. It is our decision,” Musharraf claimed.

26/11 attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed files petition in UN to get rid of his terrorist label

The Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief and Mumbai terror attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed has moved to the United Nations saying his name to be removed from the list of terrorists proscribed by the world body, senior Indian officials said. Saeed was entitled a terrorist by the UN under UNSCR 1267 (UN Security Council Resolution) in December 2008 after the November 2008 attack in Mumbai.

In May 2008, the US had named him in a specially designated global terrorist. The US had also declared $10 million bounty for Saeed following the Mumbai terror attack. It is believed that JuD is the front of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba, which was responsible for the 26/11 attack. The petition of Saeed came after his release from house arrest in Pakistan. After a judicial body in Pakistan rejected to extend Saeed’s detention and ordered his release saying “insufficient evidence”, the Mumbai terror attack mastermind walked free last week. Just after his release, Saeed said he will together people from all over Pakistan for the “cause of Kashmir” and help Kashmiris secure “freedom”.

India had expressed wrath when news about the release of Saeed’s broke and had called it as an attempt by Pakistan to “mainstream” terrorists. The US had also expressed deep worry over Saeed’s release, saying that he needs to be arrested and charged with his crimes. Just a day after Saeed was freed, the US State Department said in a statement that “The United States is deeply concerned that Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) leader Hafiz Saeed has been released from house arrest in Pakistan. LeT is a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization responsible for the death of hundreds of innocent civilians in terrorist attacks, including a number of American citizens. The Pakistani government should make sure that he is arrested and charged for his crimes”.

Egypt Mosque Attack: Things you should know about it

There is no doubt in the fact that the terror attack on a Mosque in Egypt’s Sinai province was shameless and shocking for whole humankind.  No less than 235 people were killed and 120 injured and making it Egypt’s deadliest attack in the history.

People behind the attack

It is still to discover who was behind the attack as no group/organization took the responsibility for this brutal attack, but finger of suspicion has been pointed at the Islamic State-Sinai Province, which is a local affiliate of the terror network led by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Another group in the Sinai named as “Jund al-Islam” is also suspected to have relations with al-Qaeda and is clashed to the Islamic state. However, it had issued a “statement of innocence, saying it had no role in the attack on the mosque.

Alternatives for the Egypt government

Right way after President Sisi requested to respond with “utmost force” in a televised address, fighter jets targeted some locations in the region where the mosque is located. However, the politicians and experts criticized the Egypt’s “scorched earth” strategy to go next militants and terrorists in the Sinai, who disputed it to more violence. The president’s options are limited due to the restricted presence of the security forces and the government in the region. The US President Donald Trump supported Sisi, who said on Saturday that the world cannot tolerate “barbaric terrorist” groups when he called the Egyptian president to offer condolences.

Source: hindustantimes.com

Pakistan TV channels to go off air during strike on Islamist protesters

On Saturday, the Pakistani authorities ordered private television to go off air during a police and paramilitary crackdown on Islamist protesters in the capital. The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority ordered suspension for violating media regulations displaying live coverage of a security operation, the statement said by the regulator.

The police of Pakistan also used tear gas and water cannon and fought running conflicts with stone-throwing Islamist activists, as they worked to clear a protest by the religious hardliners who have blocked main routes into Islamabad for more than two weeks. The protests have also arrived in many main cities like Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, and Peshawar. The protestors have impacted daily life badly in the capital and have confronted court orders to split up, asking the firing of the minister of law. The Tehreek-e-Labaik blames the minister Zahid Hamid for changes to a democratic oath that it says amounts to desecration.

As per the media reports in Pakistan, some prominent channels, including Geo TV went off the air in Islamabad and elsewhere. Under Electronic Media Code of Conduct 2015, the order was passed that stops any live coverage of security operation. The Pakistan’s senior journalist Hamid Mir has highly criticized the step and compared it to the ban enforced by former President Pervez Musharraf in 2007. Mir also asked the Chief Justice of Pakistan to take notice of the ban.

26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed released from house arrest, says will fight for ‘Kashmir cause’

The chief of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) and mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, Hafiz Saeed, has been freed by Pakistan from house arrest on Friday. Just after getting freed from jail, Saeed launched anti-India rhetoric by claiming that he would mobilize people for the “cause of Kashmir”. The JuD head was released after the government decided not to detain him in any further case, Saeed carries a $10 million American bounty for his role in terror activities.

The release of Hafiz Saeed following midnight came ahead of the 9th anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai in which 166 lost their lives. India has asked Pakistan quite often to reinvestigate the Mumbai terror attack case and also demanded the trial of Saeed and Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in light of the evidence it had provided to Islamabad. “I was detained for 10 months only to stop my voice for Kashmir. I fight for the cause of Kashmiris. I will gather the people from across the country for the cause of Kashmir and we will try to help Kashmiris get their destination of freedom,” said Saeed while addressing his supporters gathered outside his house.

On Wednesday, the Punjab province’s Judicial Review Board comprising judges of the Lahore High Court (LHC) unanimously ordered Saeed’s release on the completion of his 30-day house, which expired last night. India, however, showed its anger over the decision of the judicial board to release Saeed, saying it a stab by Pakistan to mainstream banned terrorists and a reflection of its ongoing support to non-state actors. Commenting on the Saeed’s release, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) affirmed that the lack of seriousness by the Pakistan government has been shown once again in bringing to justice culprits of terrorism, including individuals and entities designated by the UN.

The MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said in New Delhi on Thursday that “It also appears to be an attempt by the Pakistani system to mainstream proscribed terrorists. Pakistan has not changed its policy of shielding and supporting non-state actors and its true face is visible for all to see”. Taking an example of release order to strengthen his claim of “innocence”, Saeed said, “I am very happy that none of the allegations against me were proved as three judges of the LHC ordered my release… India had leveled baseless allegations against me. The LHC’s review board decision has proved that I am innocent.” “I was detained on the pressure of the US on the Pakistani government. The US did so on the request of India,” he added.

Pak court orders release of 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed

The mastermind of 26/11 Mumbai attacks, Hafiz Saeed, is expected to be released from house arrest tomorrow. The Lahore High Court had ordered today the release of Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed. He has been under house arrest since January this year. The Punjab government, however, had asked for an extension to Saeed’s detention but the court rejected the request.

The JuD chief, on the other hand, had challenged his detention orders through his lawyer A K Dogar, submitting that the requirements put by the Supreme Court for the purpose were not completed. He also requested the court to order his release and end the detention. Under the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 and the Fourth Schedule of Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 on January 31, Hafiz Saeed and his four aides, Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain, were detained by the Punjab government for 90 days. The house arrest of Saeed and others was extended for next 30 days by the Punjab government on September 25.