Amending income tax rules and notifying the same, the government has made quoting of the 12-digit biometric Aadhaar or the enrolment ID a must at the time of application of permanent account number (PAN). While Aadhaar is a biometric authentication issued by the UIDAI, PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric number alloted by the I-T department to individuals and entities.
Now, when the government has made it mandatory to link your aadhar card to your PAN card for all the tax payers, tomorrow is the last day of doing that. So, those who still haven’t linked there aadhar to their PAN, do it now.
Here is the information of how to link your aadhar to your PAN:
- Go to the e-filing website and click on the tab ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the left-hand side of the website.
- Fill your PAN and Aadhaar number
- Then enter your name exactly as mentioned in Aadhaar and then submit it.
After verification of details from the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), the linking will be confirmed.
f you are already registered on the e-filing website:
- You can link your Aadhaar after logging-in to the e-filing website
- Just click on the Aadhaar linking option under profile settings.
- The details as per PAN will be pre-populated and you only need to enter your Aadhaar number and name exactly as mentioned in Aadhaar.
- Once you link your Aadhaar with PAN, you will be able to e-verify your income tax return using OTP sent to your mobile.
- If your Aadhaar name is completely different from your name in PAN, then the linking will fail and the taxpayer will be prompted to change the name in either Aadhaar or PAN database.
Making corrections in PAN and Aadhaar :
For making corrections in your PAN or Aadhaar, you log on to National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL) website and UIDAI portal, respectively.