India, a country where legends are born, where history lies in the roots of the country, whose traditions and culture make it special, is one of the seventh largest country in the world. India never fails to amaze the world by the hidden talents that Indian people hold in them. Be it cricket, science, technology, literature or any other field, India has always produced gems in every field. India is a land of various cultures and religion which makes India much more beautiful. Diversity in cultures, fill India with the colors of love, joy, happiness and selfhood. When the country is so good, it also has enemies, who always try to attack the integrity of India and try to spread terrorism in the country, but with all the blessings of Indian army, we all are safe and secure in our country. Let’s take a moment to recognize and thanks all the Special Security forces that works under the direct command of Indian Army. There are total 9 Special Commando forces who safeguards the boundaries from the enemies.
- National Security Force (NSG):- NSG often known as NSG black cat commandos because of the black uniform and black cat nsignia worn on their uniforms, is a special unit of Indian Militiary, which works under the Ministry of Home Affairs.It was formed in 1984 after operation ‘Blue Star’ and assisnation of the then Prime Minister, ‘Indira Gandhi.’ This force was formed to combat terrorist activities with a view to protect states against internal disturbances. The NSG Commandos are the best in India and rank amongst the top 5 in the world of elite special forces. The initial training period for NSG commandos last for 90 days.Only those who successfully complete the entire course are inducted into the NSG and undergo nine months of advanced training. After the 9 month training period, the next steps leads to probationary period, where 50-70% of the candidates drop out because of very hard and tough training. These are trained to shoot in head and that too 2 shots at a single go. They also go through inoculation program, where they have to stand right next to the target and the other commando shoots the target and they don’t even wear any safety gadgets during that drill.
Op Agni Baan – Punjab terrorists were holed up inside a house in Baroda where terrorists were killed and their weapons recovered. Op Ghost Buster – 51 SAG was deployed with SIT for search and strike missions after the assassination of Mr. Rajiv Gandhi.Op Sudarshan – 51 SAG was deployed at Ayodhya during Demolition of Babri Mosque. are few of the operations which NSG had done.
- COBRA Commando Force:- COBRA force stands for Commando Battalion for Resolute Action, it is a special unit of CRPF ( Centeral Reserve Police Force) of India. They are specially trained for Guerrilla fight and Jungfle warfare. Originally established to counter Naxalites. Their moto is ‘Glory or Death.’ They are adapt in the art of camouflage and jungle warfare.Every personnel of CoBRA are trained for heli jump like the parachute regiment. Few of the major operations that COBRA has performed are: During a special ops launched in Duli forest area in W/Midnapur distt. (WB) on 15–16 June 2010, 08 Maoists cadres were killed and a huge cache of arms/amns were recovered.During a special ops launched in Kayma forest area in W/Midnapur Distt. (WB) from 25–26 July 2010, 06 Maoists cadres were killed and a huge cache of arms/amns were recovered.In a special ops launched in Saranda forest area in Distt. – W/ Singhbhum, Jharkhand from 24–28 September 2010 Cobra teams were able to penetrate deep in forest and kill one Maoist, apprehend 4 Maoists cadres, bust 12 Maoist camps and recover of arms/amn/explosives.
- MARCOS Commando Force:- It is a special unit of Indian Navy, earlier known as Marine Commando Force. It was established in 1987. It is one of the best in the world, and comprises marine commandos who have been trained for special reconnaissance, direct action and all kinds of amphibious warfare. They are capable of jumping in water with the full combat load. The selection criteria for becoming a part of MARCOS is extremely high. Even if you are lucky enough to be selected, you have to go through a rigorous training which lasts almost three years. Mostly, men in their twenties are chosen for this profile.You can drop these men from the sky into the sea or on the land and expect them to unleash hell upon the enemies. They are trained in mountain warfare, desert warfare and guerilla warfare as well. The MARCOS sport a beard when undertaking civil unrests. This tactic was adopted from Israel and is called ‘ ista’arvim’. When they sport a beard and wear local Kashmiri suits called ‘Pheren’ the terrorist often mistake them as locals. Source
- Ghatak Force Commandos:- Ghatak Platoon, or Ghatak Commandos, is a special operations capable infantry platoon. There is one platoon in every infantry battalion in the Indian Army. Their role is to act as shock troops and conduct assaults against enemy positions, usually without support from the rest of the battalion.They can be tasked by the battalion or brigade commander to carry out tasks such as special reconnaissance, raids on enemy artillery positions, airfields, supply dumps and tactical headquarters. Source
Special Frontier Force:- SFF is a special paramilitary force of India, created in 1962. Its main goal originally was to conduct covert operations behind Chinese lines in the event of another Sino- Indian War. They work with RAW. It is composed primarily of Tibetans, but the Officer corps consists of Indian army officers. The main objective of this unit was to conduct cross border operations across the Tibetan border. Saw heavy action in the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation war, in which their major ops involved destruction of bridges to stop the movement of Pakistani forces.
Garud Commando Force:- The Garud Commando Force is the special forces unit of the Indian Air Force. It was formed in September 2004 and has a current strength of approximately 1080 personnel. The youngest special force of the services, Garud is a force multiplier raised with the intention of providing versatile military capability specific to the Indian Air force. Garuds have diverse responsibilities. Besides base protection force to protect airfields and key assets in hostile environments, some advanced Garud units are trained like Army Para Commandos and the Naval MARCOS to undertake missions deep behind enemy lines. Note, that the security of IAF installations like radars, airfields and other establishments in border areas is generally performed by the Air Force Police and the Defence Security Corps (DSC). Source
- Force One Commando:- Force One is an elite commando force, which is a specialised counter terrorism unit to guard the Mumbai metropolitan area, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world, formed by Government of Maharastra on the lines of NSG. It was formed under Maharastra police, as a response to the 2008 mumbai terror attacks and was commissioned two days before its first anniversary.
- The Special Protection Forces:- The Special Protection Group is a security force of the Government of India that is responsible for the protection of the Prime Minister of India, the former Prime Ministers and members of their immediate family members. They have to gather intelligence, assess threats and provide protection. Their track record has been impeccable after the Rajiv Gandhi assassination and no attacks have been carried out on any Prime Minister ever since.
- Para Commandos:- Formed in 1966, the Para Commandos are part of the highly-trained Parachute Regiment of the Indian Army and are the largest part of the Special Forces of India. The parachute units of the Indian Army are among the oldest airborne units in the world. We salute all the Brave Soldiers of India, who are sacrificing their lives for the pride and safety of the country.